Thursday, November 26, 2009

Technology assesments week 1

Technology is an area that I feel weak in.  The Technology Appliction Inventory is broken down into 4 differeint domains.  The first domain is Foundations.  There were 18 questions in this domain and I only answered yes to 6 of them.  My strengths in this domain are:
  • that I am able to perform basic software application functions,
  •  I am proficient in the use of  a variety of  imput devices
  • I can keyboard proficiently
  • I use the correct digitial keyboarding standards
  • I know that all work is copyrighted
  • And I am aware of the copyright Law of 1976
As for the rest of the questions in the Foundations domain I answered no.  I realize that their are many areas that I need to learn and grow in.

The Second Domain is Information Acquisition.  Their were 10 questions in this categorey and I answered yes to 3. 
  • I can identify and use text files
  • I can identifiy and use image, audio, and video files
  • I can access and use online help and other documentation
I have a few basic skills but again there is room to grow and learn.

The Third domain is Solving Problems with Technolgoy Tools.  There are 18 questions in this domain and I answered yes to 10 of them.  In this category I had a majority of strengths.  The areas that I need to improve in consist mostly in
  • spreadsheets
  • graphic tools
  • charts
  • virtual environments
  • Technical writing
  • electronic communities
  • Track trends and
  • Comparison of data
The last domain in this inventory is Communication.  There were 12 questions and I answered yes to 8 of them.  Communication seems to be my strongest area.  This is most likely due to the fact that I use many of these skills in my personal use as well as school use.   Areas for improving would be:
  • Spreadsheets
  • telecommunication tools
  • tracking trends
  • employ technolgy specification  to evaluate projects etc.
The areas that I need to grow and learn in seem to be simiular and overlapping in each domain.  I found this to be true in the second survey as well.  The SETDA Teacher Survey looked more closely at what skills I am using specifically at school.  Our school does not have a strong emphasis on technogy at this point.  We do not currently use our computers for report cards, assesments, or other data collection.  I do have the use of an ELMO in my classroom because I wrote a grant for one.  Very few teachers have an ELMO and projector in our classrooms.  All classrooms due have 3 student computers and every class does have use of the computer lab once a week for 30 minutes.  It is one of my goals to continue to write grants for technology devices and use them in the classroom to help extend the learning of each of my students. 

I agree with the assesments.  They confirmed what I already knew about my technolgoy skills and helped remind me their are many ways I need to improve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment